ARPA Food Assistance Program Fund Frequently Asked Questions
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Food Assistance Program was approved by the Hyattsville City Council to support programs that provide free meals to households in the City of Hyattsville impacted by COVID-19. The fund includes $200,000 to support food assistance programs operated by local-serving non-profits, with awards up to $25,000 per organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible to apply?
Non-profit organizations organized under Sections 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(19) of the Internal Revenue Code are eligible to apply.
Final determination letters are required from the Internal Revenue Service.
2. My non-profit is organized under a different section of the IRS Code. Is it eligible?
No. This program is to be administered by non-profit organizations, which are defined under federal regulations for the American Rescue Plan Act to include only 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(19) non-profit organizations.
3. Are for-profit organizations eligible to apply for Food Assistance Program fund?
No. For-profit small businesses in the food service industry may be eligible for up to $25,000 of emergency relief from the City of Hyattsville under the Small Business Emergency Relief program. This program is only available to eligible non-profit organizations providing new or funding ongoing food assistance programs.
4. How is the Food Assistance Program funding allocated
Funding will be available on a first-come, first-served basis to organizations that meet the criteria and submit convincing proposals, while funding is available.
5. What documentation is required for each application?
Each applicant will be required to submit a Form W-9, a copy of their IRS non-profit status letter, proof of general liability insurance, a copy of your County Health Permit, and narrative descriptions of their program proposal, including the applicant’s approach to identifying and documenting eligible individuals and households.
6. Can I use Food Assistance Program funds to pay for previous investments in meals for Hyattsville residents?
No. These grants are meant to support current and future food investments to residents by supporting new projects or future iterations of existing projects that provide free meals to Hyattsville residents.
7. What are the selection criteria the City will apply to review of applications?
Applications will be reviewed by a three-member committee of City staff and decisions will be made based on the application materials provided and the application criteria outlined. Proposals will be reviewed on various criteria related to their ability to provide food programs to Hyattsville residents, including:
- Organization’s ability to provide adequate food service programs, weighing factors such as their past experience distributing food to residents or similar activities and their staffing capability and expertise to execute their proposed programs.
- The feasibility of the program – does the proposal indicate how effective the organization will be at starting a program and ensuring its completion? Has the organization identified where it will obtain food, how it will distribute food, and how they intend to reach communities in need.
- Program efficiency – does the proposal provide cost-effective means of providing free meals to eligible Hyattsville residents? Are the meal, transportation, and other costs reasonable?
- Special consideration will be given to proposals that intend to serve populations that have greater need, such as low-income individuals, senior residents, and people with disabilities.
- Preference will be given for organizations that are located within the City of Hyattsville.
8. Does this program require that meals delivered to Hyattsville residents are also produced in the City of Hyattsville?
No. Food assistance programs that prepare meals outside the City of Hyattsville and deliver those meals to Hyattsville residents may be eligible for the Food Assistance Program.
9. If I applied for a previous grant from the City of Hyattsville, do I have to apply again?
Yes. This is a new grant program. Applications do not roll over to later programs. You must submit a new application to be considered for funding.
10. Can organizations submit applications for both the Food Assistance Program and other Emergency Relief programs, such as the Child Care Assistance Program or the Non-Profit Emergency Relief program.
Yes, each program is independent and subject to the qualifications outlined on the applications and FAQs. Applications are reviewed independently. A non-profit organization may be eligible for emergency relief under the Non-Profit Emergency Relief Program, and may also apply for program grants to support food assistance or child care assistance, if they are eligible and offer programs eligible for support under program guidelines established by the Council.
11. Will I be required to file grant reports?
Yes, quarterly grant reports to the City of Hyattsville will be required from each awardee. Reports will include a summary of program operations, accounting of expenses under the program, information about the number of eligible residents served, etc. The grant agreement will provide relevant details about what information to submit with quarterly reports.
12. Where can I get an application?
Apply online here! You may also pick up a printed copy by request at the Hyattsville City Building, 4310 Gallatin Street, during normal business hours. Please call (301) 985-5000 to request a copy. The application is available in English and Spanish.
13. How do I submit my completed application?
Online applications can be submitted here. Printed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to 4310 Gallatin St., Hyattsville, MD 20781 ATTN: Patrick Paschall.
14. When can I expect to hear back about my application?
Please allow up to 30 calendar days in processing time. Applicants will be notified of their status by the email address provided on the application form.
15. How will funds be delivered?
Payments will be made by check and mailed to the address listed on the application.
16. Where can I direct further questions?
Please contact Patrick Paschall at email@example.com or 301-485-6924.