- Living & Visiting
- Sustainability & Protecting the Environment
- Make the Switch to Electric Leaf Blowers!
Make the Switch to Electric Leaf Blowers!
Hyattsville is making the switch from gas-powered to electric leaf blowers!
To better protect the health of both our residents and the local environment, by August 2024, all leaf blowers used in City limits must be electric-powered. Read the new City Ordinance here.
Why Make the Switch? Electric Leaf Blowers are:
- Healthier – Keep noxious fumes out of your lungs and our community!
- Quieter – Better for your ears, and your neighbors will appreciate it!
- Cheaper - Save money on gas!
Trade in your gas-powered leaf blower!
Make the switch now and get reimbursed for purchasing an electric blower! The City will hold trade-in events to help residents and contractors claim their rebates and adequately dispose of gas-powered leaf blowers. The next trade-in events are scheduled for Saturday, March 4, and Saturday, May 20, both from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., at the DPW Operations Facility, 4633 Arundel Place.
Gas-powered leaf blowers will only be collected at trade-in events - - no drop-offs, please!
- Now – July 31, 2023: Trade in your gas-powered leaf blower to be reimbursed up to 75% of the cost of an electric leaf blower, not to exceed $150 (Contractors: $300 per blower, not to exceed $900)
- August 1, 2023 – January 31, 2024: Trade in your gas-powered leaf blower to be reimbursed up to 50% of the cost of an electric leaf blower, not to exceed $100 (Contractors: $200 per blower, not to exceed $600)
- February 1, 2024 – August 1, 2024: Trade in your gas-powered leaf blower to be reimbursed up to 25% of the cost of the electric leaf blower, not to exceed $50 (Contractors: $100 per blower, not to exceed $300)
- August 1, 2024: Electric leaf blowers are required within City limits; Trade in-rebate program ends. Warnings and citations for the use of gas-powered leaf blowers will be issued at this time.
Rebate Program Eligibility
Residents and landscaping contractors must complete an application and bring the items listed below to participate in the trade-in events.
Rebate checks will be mailed 2-3 weeks after the event. For questions about your rebate check, please contact the Department of Public Works at (301) 985-5032.
Along with the application, please provide the following:
- Proof of residency in the form of a driver's license or current utility bill with matching identification. (Enter your address here to check if you are a resident of the incorporated City of Hyattsville.)
- Landscaping contractors do not have to be residents but must provide proof of service to at least ten properties within the City. Please complete this form to document the properties serviced.
- A W-9 form. You can download here to complete it in advance, or you can fill one out on-site.
- A receipt or proof of purchase of an electric leaf blower from July 1, 2022, or later. (Rebates are not eligible for leaf blowers purchased earlier than July 1, 2022)
- An operable, empty, gas-powered leaf blower will be forfeited in exchange for the rebate. For safety reasons, blowers with gas in their tanks will not be accepted! Please empty the tank before attending the event.