Accountability and Transparency
The City of Hyattsville Police Department is committed to the core values of service, integrity, and respect. The agency proactively promotes accountability and transparency in the following ways:
- Implementing policies, procedures and strategies, that promote fair and impartial policing. View our Department General Orders Manual.
- Promoting clear guidance to our community members on how to make citizen comments, complaints and inquiries. Links to submit are below.
- Investing in training opportunities that promote cognizant understanding of implicit bias, fair and impartial policing and crisis intervention when interacting with individuals in a mental health crisis.
- Annual department and individual goal setting tied directly to community outreach and fair and impartial policing tactics.
- Providing the ability to access our CALEA Assessment & Accreditation Reports, Body Worn Video Camera Policy, and Police Department Annual Reports online for easy access. Links to view reports are below.
View a letter to the community from former Chief of Police Amal Awad, sharing her perspective on the tragic murder of George Floyd.
We Want to Hear From You
If an officer or the agency has done something that you would like to commend us for, or if you were unhappy about the service you received, please let us know. Reports can be made in person, by phone, by email (email@example.com), or by U.S. Mail and any officer can accept the report on behalf of the agency. You may also use the Commendation/Complaint Forms or Police Interaction Surveys linked below. The Department produces an annual summary of all internal complaints. Those summaries are available upon request to any citizen and all City employees. Any such request must be made in writing to the Chief of Police. Please be sure to let us know the year of the summary in which you are interested.
- Complaint & Commendation Procedure
- Commendation Form
- Complaint Form
- Police Department Interaction Survey
- Ecuesta de Relaciones con El Policía
The Hyattsville City Police Department recognizes the requests provided by the #8CantWait campaign are a minimum to which Police Departments should be held accountable. HCPD aims to remain in compliance with the recommendations of this campaign and go beyond with comprehensive and contemporary training aligned with the goals of the 21st Century Policing plan.
View our report for an overview of how the Department is addressing the #8CantWait policies
Assessments of the Department
The Department has been continuously accredited since 1999 by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. A link to the most recent assessment of the Department is below.
The Hyattsville City Police Department's Annual Reports are listed below:
Hyattsville Police Department's Progress on the President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing