Currently, all in-person City events and meetings are cancelled or postponed until further notice.
State and County COVID-19 Guidance
COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are on the rise across Maryland. Both the state and County have issued new guidance and restrictions to reduce the spread of the virus. As of January 29, 2021:
- Prince George's County businesses and houses of worship must limit occupancy to 25% capacity
- Prince George's County restaurants can offer indoor dining at 25% capacity and outdoor dining can continue at 50% occupancy. Take out and curbside pick-up options are encouraged.
- Outdoor public gatherings are limited to 25 people or less, and indoor public gatherings are limited to 10 people or less.
- All out of state travel is strongly discouraged. If you do travel, you are asked to quarantine after your return for ten days, or until you've received a negative COVID-19 test.
- Everyone must wear masks in public and practice social distancing. You can report violations of businesses not in compliance with the County's guidance by calling 311.
For updated guidance from Prince George's County, visit mypgc.us
Public health guidance encourages safe social distancing (6 feet apart) when in public. Cloth face coverings are required by Executive Order for anyone 6 years and older in all Maryland businesses, on public transit, and in outdoor public areas where social distancing cannot be observed. The City has a limited supply of disposable face-masks available for residents. Pick-up is by request on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Call (301)-985-5000.
- The Hogan Administration’s COVID-19 Response
- COVID-19 Statement from Mayor Candace Hollingsworth(En Español)
Free, non-appointment COVID-19 testing is available in the parking lot at the First United Methodist Church in Hyattsville, 6201 Belcrest Road. Hours of operation are Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. As the testing takes place in tents that are exposed to the elements, the site may occasionally need to close for inclement weather. Sign up for City updates to receive alerts when the site is closing,
The site offers both drive-thru and walk-up tests. Drivers should enter the parking lot using the entrance off of MD Route 410 (East-West Highway) across from the Safeway. Walk-up tests are offered on the side of the Church facing Belcrest Road. Please wear a mask and follow traffic guidance.
This site is being operated as a partnership between the City, Luminis Health, the Prince George's County Health Department, and the First United Methodist Church of Hyattsville.
There are many COVID-19 test sites available in Prince George's County. Please visit the County's COVID-19 testing page for a locator map, or call 311 for a list of available sites.
A COVID-vaccine can prevent serious illness by allowing your body to create antibodies that will protect you from contracting the virus. Vaccines are now available in the U.S. in limited supply, and are being administered first to healthcare workers, first responders, and high risk individuals. For information about vaccine distribution in Prince George's County, visit the County's COVID-19 Vaccination website.
There are several ways eligible residents can sign up to receive a COVID-19 vaccine in Maryland. Currently all locations are administering vaccines to residents in Group 1 of the State's vaccine distribution plan.
- Pre-register with the County Health Department’s clinics at https://bit.ly/PGCVaccineForm.
- Text MDReady to 898-211 to receive appointment notifications for the State’s mass vaccination sites.
- Check the State’s vaccine locator to find local hospitals and pharmacies administering vaccines at https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/pages/vaccine.
- CDC Vaccine Finder Tool: https://vaccinefinder.org
Public Health ResourcesCOVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by a Coronavirus not previously identified in humans. The disease is highly contagious and there are currently no vaccines available. Symptoms of the virus include fever, shortness of breath, and coughing and can sometimes be severe, requiring hospitalization. If you believe you are experiencing symptoms or would like more information, please call the Prince Georges County Coronavirus hotline: (301) 883-6627.
To learn more about COVID-19 and find resources to stay healthy, visit:
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
- World Health Organization: www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Maryland Department of Health: coronavirus.maryland.gov/ (includes a Maryland case map dashboard)
- Prince George’s County Department of Health: health.mypgc.us/coronavirus
All in-person City events and meetings are cancelled or postponed until further notice. Public access to the City Municipal Building is also suspended until further notice. Call (301) 985-5000 for questions.
Services Suspended or Limited:
- City Parks & Playgrounds are open from dawn to dusk. Limited to 10 people total (adults & children) at a playground at one time. Please wear masks and use social distancing.
- Notary and Fingerprint Services Suspended
- In-person acceptance of license and permit applications; can still be completed online
- Bulk Trash and White Goods Pick-Up Services Suspended (bulk trash pop-up events will take place as needed)
- Permit Processing for Neighborhood Block Parties Suspended
- City Council meetings, Ward Check-In's, and committee meetings will continue using a remote teleconference system. They remain open to the public. For information on how to participate, visit www.hyattsville.org/meetings.
- Police patrols and emergency response
- Weekly solid Waste, yard waste, and recycling collections
- Parking enforcement (accepting Residential Parking Zone Program applications at www.hyattsville.org/res-parking)