The Hyattsville City Police Department is Getting Cleaner & Greener!
News Flash!! Tired of paying high prices for gas, oil and maintenance? Interested in learning about electric cars? Then join us for The City of Hyattsville's 3rd Annual Electric Vehicle Car Show on Saturday, September 8, 2018, from 11am-4pm, in the City Hall Parking Lot, 4310 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, Md., 20781. There will be music, food, ice cream, give-a-ways, and lots of electric vehicles. You may even be able to test drive several EVs for yourself, and you can speak to real EV owners to see what "driving green" is all about! If you are already an electric vehicle owner, we'd love for you to register your vehicle and display it at the show. Click here for an event flyer.
* The Hyattsville 3rd Annual Electric Vehicle Car Show is an official "National Drive Electric Week Event." Click here for more info.
The Hyattsville City Police Department operates a motor fleet of approximately 65 vehicles for Patrol, Investigators, Evidence Collection, ERT (Emergency Response Team) and Administration. Most of those vehicles are gasoline powered, but the agency is working hard to make it's vehicle fleet "greener" by utilizing all-electric and hybrid-electric vehicles whenever possible. Currently the department has the following non-polluting or less-polluting vehicles in operation:
1. 2017 Chevrolet Bolt All-Electric Fully Marked Police Vehicle. (The first in the country!)
2. 2017 Zero DSP All-Electric Fully Marked Police Motorcycle.
3. 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Unmarked Police Vehicle.
4. Three All-Electric Segway Personal Assistive Mobility Devices.
5. All-Electric Golf Cart - Fully Marked Police Vehicle for Special Events (Low Speed)
In addition, the department has equipped seven (7) Patrol Vehicles and the "Hummer" Specialized Rescue Vehicle with "Anti-Idling Devices," which allow the officer to run the vehicle's emergency lights, radios, etc. for long periods of time without the engine running.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in Chevrolet's New Roads Magazine.
Click here for a recent article written about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in Green Car Reports.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in Government Fleet Magazine.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in the Sustainable Maryland Monthly Newsletter.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in the Hyattsville Life & Times Newspaper.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in Police Magazine.
Click here for a recent article about Hyattsville's new Electric Police Cruiser in Electrek Magazine.
Click here for more details about the "transformation" of the Bolt EV into a Marked Police Vehicle
Click here for a short video demonstration of the Bolt EV Police Car's Emergency Lighting Equipment
Click here for a recent video from the EV Workshop at the PEPCO Watershed Facility in Rockville, MD (07/12/18)
Click here for an NBC News Channel 4 story about Hyattsville's new All-Electric Police Car (5pm Segment) (07/30/18)
Click here for an NBC News Channel 4 story about Hyattsville's new All-Electric Police Car (6pm Segment) (07/30/18)
* The City is installing multiple Level 2 (240 Volt) and DC Fast Charge (DCFC) Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at three public parking lots which will be available to the general public at NO cost! Those EV Charging Stations, as well as the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Electric Car and the 2017 Zero DSP Electric Police Motorcycle were funded by a grant from the Maryland Energy Administration.
*Public Charging Station Update (03/10/18) - The first two Level 2 Charging Stations are installed and operable in City Parking Lot #4, located at 4320 Farragut Street. You can access those stations by entering Public Lot #3 across from the Hyattsville City Hall/Police Station at 4310 Gallatin Street, or by entering Lot #4 directly on Farragut Street. Two additional Level 2 Charging Stations have been installed and are now operational as well. They are located in Parking Lot #2 (4300 Blk. Hamilton Street.) Please note that these are "pay" lots from 8am-8pm Mon-Sat (No charge on Sunday and Holidays), however the fee to park is only .50 per hour when required. Both of these EV Charger locations are available on www.Plugshare.com, and charging is FREE.
Fast Chargers Now Available! (08/02/18) - Two 50kW DCFC Fast Charge stations have been installed in the City Hall Parking Lot. Both stations will accomdate vehicles with CHAdeMO or CCS Combo plugs. Like the Level 2 charging stations, there is no charge to use these DCFC units.
* Four more Level 2 Charging Stations as well as two DCFC (Fast Charging) Stations will be forthcoming in City Parking Lot #1, which is adjacent to Franklin's Restaurant & Brewery located in the 5100 Blk. of Baltimore Avenue. These stations are awaiting additional electrical power requirements from PEPCO, however we hope to have them operational by the fall of 2018.
For more information about the Hyattsville City Police Department's Electric Vehicles Program, or to have the Bolt EV Police Car and/or the Zero Electric Police Motorcycle at your civic group's meeting or "green" event, contact Sgt. Richard Hartnett at (301) 985-5083 or email rhartnett@Hyattsville.org