Homeowner Tax Information
Understanding Your Property Taxes
Property owners in the City of Hyattsville pay taxes to the City and Prince George's County. The State of Maryland also plays a role in determining your tax bill.
Here's a quick outline of the process:
- The assessed value of your home is determined by the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation. For more information on this process, please visit their site.
- Prince George's County and the City of Hyattsville set their tax rates as part of the budget process.
- Prince George's County issues tax bills based on the assessed value of your home and the established tax rates. The County also collects taxes.
- The County then returns the City's share of tax revenue to our Finance Department, allowing the City to provide services to residents.
Appealing Your Assessed Value
The State of Maryland offers an Appeals process for property owners. If you believe that your assessed value is inaccurate, please visit the state's website for details on the process.
Paying Your Property Taxes
Prince George's County collects Property Taxes. Visit their Office of Finance to view your tax bill.
If you have a mortgage, your bill may be automatically paid by your mortgage company. Residents may also pay their tax bill online through the County's Office of Finance.
Homeowner Property Tax Credit
The City of Hyattsville's Homeowner Property Tax Credit program, created in 2008, mirrors the State of Maryland's Program, but with a few changes on eligibility. The requirements for the State's program are (1.) Total combined household Income of $60,000 or less, (2.) Other assets that contribute to your net worth such as cash values in IRA and/or qualified retirement savings related programs cannot exceed $200,000 and, (3.) Assessed home values of $300,000 or less. In contrast, the City's program allows household income of $80,000 annually; assets of less than $200,000, not including house value and qualified retirement accounts; and assessed home values of up to $350,000. The City supplement is set at 15% of the State credit.
The 2017 filing deadline for this program has been extended to Sept. 15. To access the application, please:
Go to State of Maryland website link below: http://dat.maryland.gov/Pages/Tax-Credit-Programs.aspx
- Click "Tax Credit Programs"
- Click "What is Homeowners Property Tax Credit Program"
- Click "Homeowners Property Tax Credit Program Application" and then print.
- Print and follow the instructions to fill out application and to file.
- If you have question please call 410-767-4433 or 800-944-7403 or the City at 301-985-5000.
Homestead Tax Credit
If your home is your primary residence, you may be eligible for a Homestead Tax Credit. This limits the amount that your tax bill can increase each year.
Please visit the state's website for details. Note that property owners are required to complete a one-time application to show eligibility. An online version of the form can be completed here.